Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ian might be trying to send a message.

A few days ago, around 5:15am, Ian woke up asking for a bottle. Well, if he has a bottle, then he thinks the day has begun so I tried giving him his pacifier and hoping he would go back to sleep. All was quiet for a few minutes and I was thankful since I wanted to get some more sleep. My slumber was soon interupted again by his talking/whining about a bottle. Knowing that giving it to him would give me at least a little more sleep, I went to give it to him and found him with his pj bottoms pulled down, diaper off and pee soaked into all his clothes and blankets. Not what anyone would want at 5:30 in the morning, right? Alright, I give him a bottle, change him, and because I am still half asleep, I move him to a dry part of the bed with a dry blanket instead of changing the bedding right then. Bad mom, I know. Whatever. All of that bought me about two hours more sleep. Not bad expect that when I woke to his talking this time he was saying that he pooped, and indeed he had. Too bad he had taken his diaper off AGAIN before doing it. Gross!

Does this mean he is ready for potty training? What if I'm not ready? Does anyone want to do it for me? My wonderful mother-in-law got the ball rolling with Maddie's potty training after my pitiful attempts at it left us both too frustrated to make any progress. Any amazing potty training secrets I should know?

10 comments:

Claire Thompson said...

Oohhh, not fun. I need the dirt on the AZ heat, how are you survivng it?

Rachel said...

the heat is not that bad, really. it's too hot to go to the park during the day right now, but in a month or so it will be perfect! my main complaint is that our car's a/c is terrible. i won't lie, it's darn hot, but not so bad that we are dying to leave. are you guys considering moving to az?

agirlnamedgay said...

terrible wake up call!

Julie and Carlos said...

Let's just say that at 3 and a quarter Taylor is still allowing the pee to stream down his legs with no regrets... I am absolutely the last person to ask about potty training so when you find the secret let me know.

xcdenke said...

Uh, that is nasty and NO I don't think you are a bad mommy for wanting more sleep. You sound like me! K is close to being potty trained. He always tells me when he needs to go, but isn't quite ready for the actual potty yet. He prefers to go behind Ethan's crib. Too funny. Thankfully neither of them are taking off any diapers. Let's hope it stays that way! Miss you!

Jami said...

yea, I don't know. Potty training sounds NO FUN...but then again, changing man poop diapers doesn't sound fun either.
Maybe just try it...for a week? But I would wait till summer, then he can run around naked! Isn't that what people do in other countries?

Jen said...

My mom used good old fashioned bribery with my favorite candy. To this day whenever I use the bathroom, I crave M&M's!! Hee hee!!

Sowells said...

I hate potty training! Oliver was so much harder than Penelepe. But for boys they love to pee outside. When we were at my parents house in MT Oliver started to get the hang of it because he would be outside where no one could see him peeing away. We also did cheerios in the toilet to pee on and food coloring. Ane I think both of my kids favorite was the potty treats, aka bribes. Small treats for #1 big treats for #2. But honestly I think it comes down to when THEY are READY and not a moment sooner.

harwoodhomer said...

Kate and I have just been letting Sal sit on the potty without trying to get her to go on it. It's obvious that she has made some kind of connection, but usually she just sits there. I figure if she likes it instead of staying away from it, that is in and of itself progress.

So you can start the process without rushing into the part you dread.

The Sorensens said...

So gross! So sorry! I don't know anything about potty training boys, and Ava seems to have forgotten how to stay dry at night (after six months of dry-at-night) so you're on your own!