Monday, June 16, 2008

Faith-building flip-flops

These are Maddie's new flip-flops that I got at The Children's Place along with a pair for Ian for $5. Nice and cheap, just how I like it. So, here's the story. Basically the same day I got them one of them disappeared. I needed to be cleaning up anyway and I was pretty sure that once I got everything put into its proper place the lost flip-flop would turn up. That was Tuesday. I put everything away a bunch of times over the week and still no flip-flop. Well, yesterday, I got serious about it and this time I recruited Madeleine to help with the search. She initiated a game of 'I-Spy' to see if we could find it by looking for anything that was pink and black. No luck. I assumed it would finally turn up once I started going through our stuff as we prepare to move. (Oh yeah. We're moving to Arizona in August for Spencer to attend ASU for his MBA.) Madeleine was not ready to give up. She said, "Maybe we can say a prayer and tell Heavenly Father if He can help us find my shoe." Great idea! Spencer said a prayer with her and then they set out to look again. About a minute later they found it. Then they said a prayer to thank Heavenly Father for helping them find it. I am so grateful for Madeleine's faith and her example to me! What a precious experience that was!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're moving - REALLY!? :(

That's so sad. Well, you'll be close to family won't you?

We definitely have to have our BBQ before you all leave. Let us know when works best for you both and let's get together!

Claire Thompson said...

Such a cute story, journal worthy.

Sara S. said...

Way to go, Maddie! Davis and I want to know where you ended up finding the flip-flop???

PS You know who said...

Grandma Sandi wants to know where you found it, too. I am so proud of you for praying for help and then especially for praying to tell Heavenly Father thank you!

XOXOXO

Rachel said...

They found it wedged between the toy chest and the wall in the kids' room. Madeleine said she found it all by herself so we had to remind her that Heavenly Father helped her and, just between us, that it was actually Spencer who spotted it.

Sowells said...

Arizona! That will be fun - you'll be close to family. Family is always fun.

Jen said...

Here's my selfish comment......do you think if I prayed Heavenly Father would stop letting my friends move away from me before they meet my baby? It's like a domino effect I swear! I am so depressed I can't handle it right now.
Here's my unselfish comment...way to go Maddie! She is learning important things so early. So is Ian. Good Mom & Dad they have!

sosocalrands said...

We will miss you guys being so close! We wish you well on your new adventure, though. Good job Maddie!

Vudochki said...

ok so... I have to admitt, although I complained and complained about Arizona the whole time I lived there, there really are some good things about the place. There's great mexican food, swimming pools everywhere and the temple is beautiful and your sweet sister Maggie lives there. She was always so nice to me while I was in her ward. Tell her hi for me. When are you guys doing the big move?
Love ya, Jessica

Anneli said...

Rachel I'm sad you guys are leaving but I'm excited for you too. It would be hard for me to turn down, no snow, lots of family and cheaper houses, but you will be missed :(

PS nice work Maddie

Brain Balance Mom said...

Arizona? I wish it was Nevada. Can't he go to UNLV? I haven't seen/talked to you guys in ages. Which isn't surprising since I haven't talked to anyone in ages. I feel like I live on another planet or something...
I am excited for you guys - moving is always so much fun :)
If you are coming through this way, let us know! We would love to see you!

Julie and Carlos said...

So sweet! I'm all teary eyed now. Thanks a lot. I guess you must be doing something right!