Friday, July 29, 2011

you're fighting about what??

I know none of you could possibly think that our kids are perfect. And even though no one asked for it, I will give you some proof.
  • Not a day (no, not even one single day) goes by without Madeleine and Ian fighting over who gets to sit in the coveted seat at the back of the kitchen table. This might make sense if the tv were on while we're eating (since that seat would have the best view), but it's not. It seems like maybe the reasoning has become that that seat is closer to Alayna's highchair. Either way, it makes me want to scream.
  • You could hear statements like these at almost any mealtime at our house:
"I want the blue plate!"
"No!! I want the blue plate!!"
"Mom! He got the blue plate yesterday!!"
"You get what you get and you don't get upset!"
  • Our older kids also have a real talent for arguing over what they watch on netflix. There are a few shows they agree on, like Avatar: the Last Airbender and the Fantastic Four. But mostly if Ian wants to pick something besides those two, Madeleine will fight it. Pretty much if it's not her way/choice/idea/etc. it's worth fighting over.
  • If you're like me, you hope that prayer-time will be a brief moment of peace in your home. But again, if you're like me, you are disappointed on that one. Those two even have to fight over who gets to say the prayer. Unbelievable!
I could come up with several other examples, but I think that's proof enough for now. At this moment however, I am pleased to say that Alayna is sleeping and Madeleine and Ian are playing nicely enough together with the fort they built in the playroom. So, for this moment, I am enjoying some relative peace and a break from wanting to scream.

2 comments:

Claire Thompson said...

sounds very familiar. Not that I am glad your kids fight but there is a certain comfort that comes from knowing its not just me that has to contend with the daily fights. I also find that about 10 minutes before bedtime my kids decide that they are going to be best buds and play wonderfully together.

Rachel said...

my kids do that too! why can't they do that during the day??