Saturday, August 27, 2011

One New Outfit

Madeleine had a pretty great first week of school (mostly).  She was really well behaved the first couple days so I let her have access to one new outfit.  Her excitement at the prospect of showing up to school in this ensemble got the best of her and made it difficult for her to sleep the night before.  So, although she felt like a million bucks thanks to these clothes, her behavior took a bit of a backslide.  Spencer and I thought rather than give her everything back at once, she could earn one outfit each day.  Hopefully that way she would keep trying her best to be nice.  Obvioulsy we think that's a pretty ingenius idea, but she feels robbed because she thought she could be good for 2 days and get everything now.  I can understand her frustration, but I do think she is beginning to see it our way.  Since I also took away all of her dress-up clothes I am thinking that I will let her earn one real outfit and one dress-up too.  Any ideas?  I welcome any and all advice on how you would deal with your own strong-willed child.   

4 comments:

Gus Koernig said...

I like your arrangement. You can't buy a house-full of furniture if there's only en ough money in your account to get a kitchen set, right?

PS You know who said...

Remember, for every strong willed child, there are two strong willed parents. You can do it!

Brielle said...

I think you are doing a great job. I have several very strong willed kids and I'll remember this clothes thing when my kids start to get into school. Right now I just yell, it doesn't really work but I still do it..

The Sorensens said...

I don't have any parenting advice, but look at those skinny legs! Glad she's at least earned one outfit back. Keep up the fight. okay, not a fight, keep up the consequences.