Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Thinking about Christmas



I set up our tree a couple days ago in hopes of getting it to feel a little more Christmas-y around here. Madeleine helped a little. She put some ornaments on, all clustered together so I helped move them to be a little prettier. I think I may have to grow up to be the kind of mom who (when I have space for this) has one tree for me that is pretty and uniform, etc. and another tree for the kids. Is that lame? Or maybe the lame thing is keeping our tree as "mine" instead of letting the kids have at it and getting a tree of my own when we have room for two trees. I guess it will depend on how long we are in a one-Christmas-tree size home. Since the kids are still so young I don't feel too bad about not letting them decorate it. Maybe in a couple years I'll relinquish my interest in the beauty of our tree. Until then, I love my fake, pre-lit, beautifully uniform tree!

9 comments:

agirlnamedgay said...

i love how you have the ribbon coming down from the tree. it's beautiful!

Claire Thompson said...

That is one good looking tree, I may have to refer to that picture when i decorate mine.

Vudochki said...

I have a sister-in-law who before they moved had a "Christmas room". The funny thing about it was that it was up all year long. So, in July you'd walk into her house and the room to the left would be the Christmas room with all the trimmngs.
My parents always had the one big tree and got little ones for each of our bedrooms. It was great because we were able to decorate them and they made our rooms smell great!

Anneli said...

When we have the space I want to do two trees and have a kid tree and an adult tree, but mini trees for everyone's room is a great idea too, I might have the steal that one. And the tree looks lovely.........

brookeisacrazylady said...

my kids have dominated my tree...sigh

Laura said...

my mom did the 2 trees growing up, but I will be honest, I remember feeling that the ornaments I made in school were never good enough to go on the "pretty" tree. I always tried to sneak mine on there. And I am all about getting a fake, pre-lit tree.

Holly said...

Hahaha, I guess I'm still just a kid!
Our Christmas tree is clad with fruitloop-popcorn garlands, assorted pipecleaner figures, and noodle angels that Mark and I made! I think it's a great lookin' tree. But your tree is definitely beautiful! I agree with gay, I love the ribbon, how creative!

Welcome to FarrSouth. . . said...

Your tree looks gorgeous! I have had as many as 3 full-sized trees and 6+ smaller ones some years. This lets us have a wonderful color-crazed tree in the family room, my delicate tree (the only one with breakable ornaments-- many child-made) in the living room and another of whatever theme strikes my fancy in the dining room-- the last 2 provding beautifully lit windows for the front of the house). The little trees fill tables and niches around the house and in the kid's rooms. Between that and the 20+ nativities, we always spend LOTS of time putting Christmas up around here-- something the kids really seem to enjoy. If only everyone was as willing to help with the taking down. Ah, well, part of the joy of parenthood is in providing the magic of special times for our children!

Anonymous said...

I love how you're getting all these props on the ribbon when we both know full-well you copied my tree. You may wanna copy this as well: I encourage my kids to hang their ornaments on the back of the tree, all in one very special spot just for them.